Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day One of Week One

Really, Day One was yesterday, so I don't feel to badly only being a day behind. Here's what the Wolfes are up to lately:

We're working as a family to be healthier. Three of the four of us (we still include him though) are in need of some help. We've got a few pounds to shed. As a family (really as a trio since this whole thing is a touchy subject between a sister and her skinny brother), we decided to start making a more conscious effort to increase our activity level, eat healthier and support eachother through this process.

We've weighed, taken measurements and have changed our morning routine to include family breakfasts that include protein to get us going in the morning and keeping us from unnecessary snacking.

I've never been one to count the days or the weeks when starting a new health program, but this time I thought it was important for us to be able to keep track of where we are and how far we've come.

The key here for us is that we're doing this as a family (for the first time ever!). In the past, I've focused on myself or Matt has focused on himself, but this time, Alie needs us - she needs us to encourage her, support her, and be "in the trenches" with her. The three of us are all in the same boat, so we'll sink or swim together.

Alie had a good cry yesterday when we weighed in, but after that, she was encouraged and motivated. I reminded her that we'd be with her every step of the way and that this whole experience would bring us closer as a family.

We started yesterday with Alie getting up at 5:00 a.m. to walk with us and then me, Colby and Alie playing (really playing!) outside for over an hour afterschool in the warm spring weather. Who knew that hopscotch and relay races could be this fun and that good of a workout?!?!

So, here we are. Making a more conscious effort to eat healthier, to move more and to slow things down a bit (more on that later).

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing for you to do together! Paulette, you are my hero. I would like to employ here a lot of your strategies (except for the 5 a.m. running, sorry!). I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! This makes my heart smile. My DH and I have started taking turns walking with our oldest - yes - we should all do it together - but given everyone's schedule at the moment, this is working for us.

    ReplyDelete